Friday, September 16, 2011

When the Moon Hits Your Eye Like A...

What a difference a week makes!!  Just after I whined about not having any ripe tomatoes, they all started turning at once.  I heard that beautiful heirlooms are $1.99 a pound at Whole Foods Markets today, but if you're in my area, come on over.  We'll have more than we know what to do with in the next few days!

The beauties in the back are the San Marzano variety.  I'll be cutting each in half and putting them on a parchment lined baking sheet, sprinkling them with sea salt and a bit of olive oil and roasting them in a slow oven for about 6 hours.  They are very meaty with few seeds, and they melt in your mouth when cooked this way.  I actually freeze them and use them all year.
via






I just had a Caprese salad for lunch and will be having my favorite - Greek salad - for dinner.  


via




This weekend I'm going to see if I can find a pizza sauce recipe (do you have one?) and maybe try grilling a pizza margherita.  Yum!   







                                                                                                                             ***************************************

I have to admit, I'm now ready for autumn...you really can feel a bit of crispness in the air and pretty colored leaves are just beginning to line our streets.  Doesn't it inspire you to start cooking?  In keeping with the theme, this week's Pinterest share is from my "Foodie" board.  Enjoy!
via
via

via
via
via
via

via


What will you be cooking this weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Although I just had lunch... I'm getting hungry :)

    My tomatoes have been turning like crazy... every day there is a bunch more to harvest. I've made 4 big batches of tomato sauce (to can) and will be trying out homemade ketchup for the first time. I came across a recipe that has you roast the tomatoes, onion and garlic before you make the ketchup!

    I've tried to grow San Marzanos but I think we're too cold. I grow Romas pretty successfully but the San Marzanos won't even grow well in the greenhouse... I do keep trying, year after year!

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen now, if my car was behing the bread cart, my fanny would be as big as Italy. I'm such a crusted bread person. I'm doing a pot roast, new potato, carrots, garden greens & probably some yeast rolls. Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete